Ok.. this is totally overdue.
Its just taken me this long to muster up the courage to do the research…… and deliver the sad news. Warning: This is going to get really depressing, but should bring some clarity to many of us struggling to achieve our health goals.
Booze (I’m talking mostly about binge (2+) drinking) is one of the WORST things when it comes to weight loss.
- It slows down your metabolism. Alcohol cannot be stored by your body, so it kicks your metabolism into crazy mode. It stops digesting and absorbing the nutrients from your food; and makes the liver work hard to break down the alcohol. Your metabolism deosnt start waking up again until ALL THE BOOZE IS OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM……. you know those mornings when your still buzzed?? ya, still not metabolising your nutrients correctly. We spend so much time speeding up our metabolism… exercise before breakfast, eating small frequent meals, high fiber, green tea, low cheese, more water… bla bla bla. Why go through all this only to stop all progress completely over a weekend? Also while we are talking metabolism, its proven that booze irritates your whole Gastrointestinal tract. Nausea, vomiting, stomach ulcers, bloated guts, diarrhea…… we have all been there.
- “empty calories” ….. = No nutritional value. Chocolate and cheese at least have some nutritional value. But alcohol is usually high in sugar and carbohydrates. Booze supplies 7 calories per gram, almost twice as many as protein and carbohydrates. In fact, alcohol has only 2 fewer calories than fat, which has 9 calories per gram. It must also be remembered that the calories in alcohol lack the nutrients beneficial for a healthy metabolism and will therefore hasten fat storage.
- Maintaining normal blood sugar levels is one of the key functions of your metabolism. When you drink booze, maintenance of sugar levels is one of the first things to be shoved aside while your liver creates enzymes to oxidise and eliminate the toxins. Alcohol inhibits your body’s ability to make glucose and to maintain normal levels of blood sugar. Even if you aren’t diabetic, pre-diabetic or even know a diabetic… Things are still hard at work inside of you and you need to know that booze isnt just screwing up your dance moves.
- Alcohol actually makes you hungry for salty, greasy food… For real. How many times have you I stumbled home with a toquito (or five), a (few) slice of pizza smothered in ranch sauce…. oh the humanity. Who cares anymore?! Ive been drinking and im STARVING. lets eat THOUSANDS of calories , RIGHT BEFORE BED, on top of the other hundreds of calories that i have now drank. ……uggg… My favourite…. I hear this a lot with “the youth” while working ambulance. “I’ll jjjussstt eeaaat sum breead and it will sooook up the booozee” hahahahhahahhahah
- Its habit forming. Alcohol is a drug. It sedates us, takes the edge off our stress, numbs us. It inhibits us to stop worrying about real life. I have caught myself on many a time, drinking for the following reasons. Special occasions, special visits from people, special meals, shitty meals, bad days, good days, vacations, days of the week, hours of the day….. I can find any excuse to enjoy a beer or glass of wine. Then who can have just one right? I know a few people that have very serious difficulties slowing the booze consumption down and cant stop at all.
Ive seen beautiful relationships spiral downhill, people get injured and Ive worked very hard to try and keep people alive, Ive witnessed smiles, health and sparks in peoples eyes disappear over time… This is why I recommend the amazing services of Alcoholic Anonymous and Al-Anon family services (Google it. Its not a rare issue and hundreds of thousands of people have recovered with their own or family members addictions. there is lots of help out there)
Ok Now lets just calm down. Balance. Is. The. Key. To. Life
We all know most of us lack any balance in our life… and to be honest sometimes a glass of wine is the only thing that is going to keep you from towel whipping your husband/friend/co-worker/neighbour with a wet rag. But we have to remember to ask yourself “why am I NEEDING a glass of wine right now? What is bothering me? is it worth sabotaging my health goals?”
If you drink that’s fine by me, Just don’t you dare complain to your self, spouse, friends, family members and especially not your trainer; about why your not losing those last few pounds / jiggly bits.